Aberdeen Standard Investments (ASI) has launched a new Asian Sustainable Development Equity Fund (the “Fund”). Aligned with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs), it will invest in quality Asian companies that aim to deliver an attractive return while making a positive contribution to society.
The Luxembourg-domiciled Aberdeen Standard SICAV I – Asian Sustainable Development Equity Fund will invest in a portfolio of 30-60 high-conviction stocks, focusing on Asian markets that present strong growth potential and where there are significant opportunities to identify and allocate capital to the unmet-needs highlighted by UN SDGs. The UN’s 17 SDGs came into force in 2016, designed to help address some of the world’s biggest environmental and societal challenges, such as poverty, inequality and climate change.
The Fund will leverage ASI’s established eight-pillar framework for assessing a company’s alignment to the SDGs. Through active engagements, the investment team will also seek to drive positive changes in corporate behaviour, increase the SDG alignment of our holdings, and encourage better disclosure of SDG alignment by companies.
The Fund will be managed by ASI’s 50-strong Asia Pacific Equities team which has a track record of investing in Asia since the 1980s. Our large footprint in the region allows the team to identify a diverse set of high- quality SDG-aligned investment opportunities across developed, emerging and frontier markets in Asia. The Fund will also benefit from the extensive knowledge and expertise of our central team of 20 Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) experts as well as ESG analysts within the wider Global Emerging Markets Equities team.
David Smith, Head of Corporate Governance – Asia Pacific, said, “While some progress has been made towards achieving the UN’s SDG’s by 2030, people in many Asian countries are still not benefiting from growth and progress and are increasingly vulnerable to economic, social and environmental risks. By investing in companies based or operating in Asia Pacific economies, which are strongly aligned to the UN’s SDGs, this new Fund seeks to deliver both attractive return for our clients and a positive societal impact – where it matters most.”
Flavia Cheong, Head of Asia Pacific Equities, added, “ESG has been part of our investment DNA for almost three decades. As responsible investors, we believe that supporting the SDGs creates tangible opportunities for Asian companies to contribute positively to society and the environment, while enhancing the long-term financial value of their businesses.”
The fund has initially been registered for sale in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Ireland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, and the United Kingdom.
+32 2 831 32 46
Notes to editors
- The Fund aims to achieve growth by investing in companies in Asia Pacific (excluding Japan) countries which are aligned to sustainable development criteria. The Fund aims to outperform the MSCI AC Asia Pacific ex Japan Index (USD)benchmark before charges.
- The Fund’s Asset Management Charge (AMC) amounts to 0.75% per annum for institutional investors and 1.30% per annum for retail investors.
- The 50-strong Asia Pacific Equities team has depth and breadth in equity research, with a fundamental, bottom-up and ESG-integrated investment approach.
- Aberdeen Standard Investments is a global asset manager dedicated to creating long-term value for our clients. With over 1,000 investment professionals, we manage £455.6 billion* of assets worldwide. We have clients in c.80 countries supported by over 40 offices globally. This ensures we are close to our clients and the markets in which we invest. (*as of 30 June 2020)
- We are high-conviction, long-term investors who believe teamwork and collaboration are the key to delivering repeatable, superior investment performance.
- Standard Life Aberdeen plc is headquartered in Scotland. It has around 1.2 million shareholders and is listed on the London Stock Exchange.
- You can access the Aberdeen Standard Investments media centre here: https://www.aberdeenstandard.com/news-and-media
For Professional Investors only
The value of investments, and the income from them, can go down as well as up and you may get back less than the amount invested. Past performance is not a guide to future results. Tax treatment depends on the individual circumstances of each investor and may be subject to change in the future. We recommend that you seek financial advice prior to making an investment decision.
The details contained here are for information purposes only and should not be considered as an offer, investment recommendation, or solicitation to deal in any investments or funds and does not constitute investment research, investment recommendation or investment advice in any jurisdiction. Any research or analysis used to derive, or in relation to, the above information has been procured by us for our own use, without taking into account the investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs of any specific investor, and may have been acted on for own purpose. No warranty is given as to the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of the information contained in this communication and no liability for errors or omissions in such information. Readers must make assessments to the relevance, accuracy and adequacies of the information contained in this communication and make independent investigations, as they may consider necessary or appropriate for the purpose of such assessments. Any opinion or estimate contained in this communication, are made on a general basis. No information contained herein constitutes investment, tax, legal or any other advice, or an invitation to apply for securities in any jurisdiction where such an offer or invitation is unlawful, or in which the person making such an offer is not qualified to do so.
Issued in Belgium, Luxembourg by Aberdeen Standard Investments Luxembourg S.A. 35a, Avenue J.F. Kennedy, L-1855 Luxembourg. No. S00000822. Authorised in Luxembourg and regulated by CSSF.