Aberdeen Standard Investments is committed to protecting your personal data.
We are Aberdeen Standard Islamic (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd., one of the legal trading companies that manage the products and services offered by Aberdeen Standard Investments to its customers and clients.
Aberdeen Standard Investments is a brand name of the investment businesses of Aberdeen Asset Management and Standard Life Investments. Aberdeen Asset Management and Standard Life Investments are global investment managers and are part of Standard Life Aberdeen plc; one of the world’s largest investment companies focused on developing innovative products and services to meet the evolving needs of investors and savers.
FAO Data Protection Officer
Aberdeen Standard Islamic Investments (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd. (formerly known as Aberdeen Islamic Asset Management Sdn Bhd
Suite 26.3, Level 26, Menara IMC
Letter Box No. 66
No. 8, Jalan Sultan Ismail
50250 Kuala Lumpur
Telephone Number: 603-20533800
Personal Data about you that we collect and use includes:
- Information about who you are e.g. your name, national identity card number, date of birth and contact details such as contact number, postal and email address
- Information connected to your product or service with us e.g. your bank account details
- Information about your contact with us e.g. meetings, phone calls, emails / letters
- Information that is automatically collected e.g. via cookies when you visit one of our websites
- Information if you visit one of our offices e.g. visual images collected via closed circuit television (CCTV)
- Information classified as ‘sensitive’ personal data e.g. relating to your health
Where we collect and use sensitive personal data, this sensitive personal data will only be collected and used where it is needed to provide the product or service you have requested or to comply with our legal obligations, and where we have also obtained your explicit consent to process such sensitive personal data.
We may collect your personal data directly from you, from a variety of sources, including:
- An application form for a product or service
- Phone conversations with us
- Emails or letters you send to us
- Meetings with one of our business development or relationship managers
- Registering for one of our events
- Participating in research surveys to help us understand you better and improve our products and services
- Attachments you open with newsletters that are sent to you electronically
- Entering competitions e.g. to win tickets to a sporting event which we sponsor
- Our online services such as websites, social media and mobile device applications (‘Apps’)We may also collect personal data about you from places such as business directories and other commercially or publicly available sources e.g. to check or improve the information we hold (like your address) or to give better contact information if we are unable to contact you directly.
- If you have a financial adviser, the information we collect and use will most likely have been provided by them on your behalf.
Why we collect and use your your personal data
We take your privacy seriously and we will only ever collect and use personal data which is personal to you where it is necessary, fair and lawful to do so. We will collect and use your personal data only if we are able to satisfy one of the lawful processing conditions set out in the data protection laws. This will be the case where:
- it’s necessary to provide the product or service you have requested e.g. if you wish to invest in one of our funds or products we will require some personal information which may include your name, address, date of birth, and bank account details
- it’s necessary for us to meet our legal or regulatory obligations e.g. to send you Annual Statements, tell you about changes to Terms and Conditions or for the detection and prevention of fraud
- you have given us your permission (consent) to use your personal data in this way. For example, if we are collecting and using your sensitive personal data or for certain types of direct marketing
Where it is obligatory for you to provide your personal data in order to receive our services, you will be informed. If you do not provide this personal data, we will not be able to provide the services.We sometimes use systems to make automated decisions based on personal data we have - or are allowed to collect and use from others – about you. These automated decisions can affect the products, services or features we offer you now or in the future. We use automated decisions in the following ways:
- Tailoring products and services e.g. placing you in groups with similar customers to make decisions about the products and services we may offer you to help meet your needs
- When designing and enhancing our online services to help meet your requirements for ongoing guidance and support
Who we share your personal data with and why.
We may share your personal data internally, and with third parties for the reasons outlined in ‘Why we collect and use your personal data’.
We will share your personal data with:
- Credit reference agencies for the purposes of conducting a credit check and ID verification
- Your adviser, trustee, business associate, professional advisor where this is required as part of the product or service you have agreed with us
- Companies we have chosen to support us in the delivery of the products and services we offer to you and other customers. For example, research, consultancy or technology companies who help us improve our service to you
- Companies who can help us in our contact with you, for example an internet service provider
- Our regulators; including the Personal Data Protection Department in Malaysia, Securities Commission of Malaysia and other relevant regulators
- Law enforcement and other appointed agencies who support us (or where they request the personal data) in the prevention and detection of crime; and Inland Revenue Board of Malaysia for the purposes of tax reporting where necessary.
Where your personal data is processed
The majority of your personal data is processed in Malaysia.
However, some of your personal data may be processed by us or the third parties we work with outside of Malaysia, including countries such as the United States, Hong Kong, Singapore, and India.
Where your personal data is being processed outside of Malaysia, we take additional steps to ensure that your personal data is protected to at least an equivalent level as would be applied by Malaysian data privacy laws e.g. we will put in place legal agreements with our third party suppliers and regularly check to ensure they meet these obligations.
We take information and system security very seriously and we strive to comply with our obligations at all times. Any personal data which is collected, recorded or used in any way, whether on paper, online or any other media, will have appropriate safeguards applied in line with our data privacy obligations.
Your personal data is protected by controls designed to minimise loss or damage through accident, negligence or deliberate actions. Our employees also protect sensitive or confidential information when storing or transmitting personal data electronically and must undertake annual training on this./p>
Our security controls are aligned to industry standards and good practice; providing a control environment that effectively manages risks to the confidentiality, integrity and availability of your personal data.
To provide your product or investment, and meet our legal and regulatory obligations, we keep your personal data and copies of records we create (e.g. calls with us) while you are a client or customer of ours.
Even when you no longer have a relationship with us, we are required to keep personal data for different legal and regulatory reasons. The length of time will vary and we regularly review our retention periods to make sure they comply with all laws and regulations.
- the right to be informed about how and why we are processing your personal data
- the right of access to personal data relating to you
- the right to correct your personal data
- the right to prevent processing likely to cause damage or distress
- the right to prevent processing of your personal data for the purposes of direct marketing
For more information on your rights and how to exercise them please contact us (see ‘How to contact us’ section).
How to make a complaint
While we hope that we can resolve any complaints for you, you do have the option complain to your local data privacy authority. For Malaysia, this will be the Personal Data Protection Commissioner (PDPC). This is available to you whether or not you have exhausted our complaints procedure.
The PDPC can be contacted at the following address:
Aras 6, Kompleks Kementerian Komunikasi dan Multimedia,
Lot 4G9, Persiaran Perdana, Presint 4 Pusat Pentadbiran Kerajaan Persekutuan
62100 Putrajaya, Malaysia.
Tel : 03-8911 5000
Fax : 03-8911 7959
E-mail : email@example.com