Broadens product offerings to Japanese clients by acquiring Type I and Type II Financial Instruments business licenses and hires Head of Direct Real Estate Japan
Aberdeen Standard Investments (ASI) continues its multi-year Japan business expansion plan with the acquisition of Type I and Type II Financial Instruments business licenses and the appointment of its first Head of Direct Real Estate in Japan. The move extends the delivery of ASI’s global suite of investment products to meet the diverse needs of a wider range of Japanese investors and their long-term investment goals.
The firm has completed the regulatory preparation required to broaden its product offerings, including offshore products across different asset classes, to Japanese clients. In January this year, ASI Japan became a member company of the Type II Financial Instruments Firms Association, eligible to offer private market funds to domestic professional investors. In June, the firm also gained a Type I securities license and further became a member of the Japan Security Dealers Association in July, which enables direct sales of foreign-domiciled funds to Japanese professional investors.
As part of ASI Japan’s strategy in diversifying local investment capability, Hidetoshi Ono joined the firm as Head of Direct Real Estate Japan in July. He will be leading ASI’s direct real estate investments in Japan. Hidetoshi brings over 25 years of real estate investment and management experience garnered from Japanese and multinational organisations. He joins from Manulife, where he was Managing Director, Japan Real Estate. Prior to that, he was with AXA Real Estate, ING Real Estate, General Electric and Mitsui Fudosan.
The latest developments boost the firm’s investment strategies for Japanese investors increasingly looking for more diverse long-term solutions. This has also strengthened the firm’s real estate investment capability and, together with the acquisition of Orion Partners in February this year, ASI is tapping into a thriving local real estate investment market and addressing the rising demand for alternative investments in Japan.
Neil Slater, CEO and Representative Director of Aberdeen Standard Investments Japan, said:
“I am delighted to welcome Ono-san, giving further momentum to our continuing investment and expansion in Japan. Obtaining new regulatory licenses, together with the added ability of local direct real estate investment for both our global and local clients, reflects our intent to build a long-term, sustainable business in Japan.”
Kang Puay Ju, Head of Real Estate Asia Pacific and Global Head of Real Estate Multi-Manager, Aberdeen Standard Investments, said:
“Japan is an important component of our global and Asia Pacific real estate strategies. As one of the largest markets in the world, it offers attractive return potential for investors across asset classes, such as multi-family, aged care and hospitality, as well as risk styles. Ono-san’s strong credentials and track record in the Japanese market will prove invaluable as we continue to build out our Asia Pacific real estate investment platform following the acquisition of Orion Partners.”
Aberdeen Standard Investments (Japan) Limited was created in December 2017 from the merger of Standard Life Investments (Japan) Limited and Aberdeen Investment Management K. K. In the past 12 months, the local business has expanded 30% by increasing its resources with senior hires across distribution, product strategy, investment specialist and marketing.
+852 2103 4793
Notes to editors
- Aberdeen Standard Investments is a leading global asset manager dedicated to creating long-term value for our clients, and is a brand of the investment businesses of Aberdeen Asset Management and Standard Life Investments.
- With over 1,000 investment professionals we manage US$669.6 billion* of assets worldwide. We have clients in 80 countries supported by 50 relationship offices. This ensures we are close to our clients and the markets in which they invest.
- We are high-conviction; long-term investors who believe teamwork and collaboration are the key to delivering repeatable, superior investment performance. We are resolute in our commitment to active asset management.
- Aberdeen Standard Investments is the asset management business of Standard Life Aberdeen plc, one of the world’s largest investment companies.
- Standard Life Aberdeen plc is headquartered in Scotland. It has around 1.2 million shareholders and is listed on the London Stock Exchange. The Standard Life Aberdeen group was formed by the merger of Standard Life plc and Aberdeen Asset Management PLC on 14 August 2017.
*as at 30 June 2019
Aberdeen Standard Investments is a brand of the investment businesses of Aberdeen Asset Management and Standard Life Investments.
The details contained here are for information purposes only and should not be considered as an offer, investment recommendation, or solicitation to deal in any investments or funds and does not constitute investment research, investment recommendation or investment advice in any jurisdiction.
This communication is available for distribution by the following entities:
Hong Kong by Aberdeen Standard Investments (Hong Kong) Limited. This document has not been reviewed by the Securities and Futures Commission.
Japan by Aberdeen Standard Investments (Japan) Limited.