The Aberdeen Standard Physical Gold Shares ETF (NYSE Arca: SGOL) has become the US’s third largest ETF in terms of assets under management to track physical gold having just passed the $1 billion milestone.
Investor interest in SGOL has been spurred by its increased competitiveness. It is the cheapest gold ETF on the US market following a reduction in the sponsor fee from 0.39% to 0.17% in December 2018. The product also trades commission free on the TD Ameritrade and Charles Schwab fund platforms.
Another factor is the renewed interest amongst clients for exposure to gold. Aberdeen Standard Investments Head of Exchange Traded Funds, Steven Dunn comments: “The recent market volatility generated by fears around global trade and geopolitical tensions has certainly increased clients’ appetite for gold, with the precious metal at six year highs as recently as last week. This really vindicates the view that the only good time for investors to have gold in their portfolio is all of the time.”
“SGOL is well positioned to benefit from the current demand for gold because it is the cheapest way for US investors to track the price of bullion and the fund is easily accessible commission free through two of the largest retail platforms.”
SGOL aims to track the performance of the price of gold bullion, less expenses as a way to offer investors a cost-effective and convenient way to access the precious metal. It was launched in 2009 and was designed to lower the barriers to investing in gold.
Aberdeen Standard Investments offers a range of commodity-based ETFs totalling approximately $2.8 billion in assets under management as of August 8, 2019. It offers a range of funds that track physical prices or share prices of a range of individual or baskets of commodities and precious metals.
The firm’s approach to ETFs is built on an appreciation that investors’ needs are changing and it is vital to be able to offer a broad range of capabilities and strategies that can be used to construct solutions tailored to the needs of individual clients.
Guy Nicholls (US)
+1 (215) 687 8049
Notes to editors
- For more information about the ETFs available in the U.S., call 844-ETFs-BUY (844-383-7289) or visit www.aberdeenstandardetfs.us.
- Aberdeen Standard Investments has relationships with around 500 financial sponsors across approximately 1000 funds globally.
- Aberdeen Standard Investments is a leading global asset manager dedicated to creating long-term value for our clients, and is a brand of the investment businesses of Aberdeen Asset Management and Standard Life Investments.
- With over 1,000 investment professionals we manage $669.6 billion of assets worldwide as of 30 June 2019. We have clients in 80 countries supported by 50 relationship offices. This ensures we are close to our clients and the markets in which they invest.
- We are high-conviction, long-term investors who believe teamwork and collaboration are the key to delivering repeatable, strong investment performance. We are resolute in our commitment to active asset management.
- Aberdeen Standard Investments is the asset management business of Standard Life Aberdeen plc, one of the world’s largest investment companies.
- Standard Life Aberdeen plc is headquartered in Scotland. It has around 1.2 million shareholders and is listed on the London Stock Exchange. The Standard Life Aberdeen group was formed by the merger of Standard Life plc and Aberdeen Asset Management PLC on August 14, 2017.
Aberdeen Standard Investments is a brand of the investment businesses of Aberdeen Asset Management and Standard Life Investments. In the United States, Aberdeen Standard Investments is the marketing name for the following affiliated, registered investment advisers: Aberdeen Asset Management Inc., Aberdeen Asset Managers Ltd., Aberdeen Standard Investments ETFs Advisors LLC , Aberdeen Asset Management Ltd., Aberdeen Asset Management Asia Ltd., Aberdeen Asset Capital Management, LLC, Standard Life Investments (Corporate Funds) Ltd., and Standard Life Investments (USA) Ltd.
ALPS Distributors, Inc. is the marketing agent for Aberdeen Standard Silver ETF Trust, Aberdeen Standard Gold ETF Trust, Aberdeen Standard Platinum ETF Trust, Aberdeen Standard Palladium ETF Trust and the Aberdeen Standard Precious Metals Basket ETF Trust. ALPS Distributors, Inc. is the distributor for the Aberdeen Standard Investments ETFs.
Risk Warnings: Exchange traded securities may or may not be suitable for a particular investor. The price of exchange traded securities may go up or down and an investor may not get back the amount invested. Exchange traded securities are priced in either US dollars or Euros and the value of the investment in other currencies will be affected by exchange rate movements. To the extent exchange traded securities are traded in other currencies, their value may also be affected by exchange rate movements. Futures trading is speculative and may result in losses. Commodities and futures generally are volatile and are not suitable for all investors. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results.
Restricted Investors: The distribution of the prospectus and the offering, sale and delivery of exchange traded securities in certain jurisdictions may be restricted by law. Any subscription for exchange traded securities should be made on the basis of the prospectus.
Disclaimer: Any investment in exchange traded securities carries with it certain risks, including those risks set out in the prospectus. You should obtain your own independent financial, taxation and legal advice before making any decisions about an investment in exchange traded securities. This information is not an offer for exchange traded securities and should not be used as the basis for any investment decision.
Diversification does not eliminate the risk of experiencing investment losses.
An investor should consider the investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses of the ETFs carefully before investing. To obtain a prospectus containing this and other important information, call 844-ETFs-BUY (844-383-7289) or visit www.aberdeenstandardetfs.us. Please read the prospectus carefully before investing.
Brokerage commissions may apply and will reduce returns.
This information does not constitute financial product advice.
Steven Dunn is a registered representative of ALPS Distributors, Inc.
There are risks associated with investing including possible loss of principal.
ALPS is not affiliated with Aberdeen Standard Investments.
Effective June 20, 2019, Aberdeen Standard Physical Swiss Gold Shares ETF has been renamed Aberdeen Standard Physical Gold Shares ETF.