Aberdeen Standard Investments (ASI) announces the appointment of Robert Penaloza as Head of Thailand and the promotion of Michelle Lopez as Head of Australian Equities.
Based in Bangkok, Robert will lead a 60-strong team in Thailand to spearhead the development of a long-term strategy to drive the future growth of the business. Robert brings extensive leadership and investment credentials, with a track record in managing high-performing teams across geographies. He joined the firm 22 years ago as an Asian Equities Assistant Investment Manager in Singapore, and is most recently Head of Australian Equities.
Robert was also instrumental in establishing ASI’s Thailand business, with deep experience in the domestic asset management industry and equities market. From 2001 to 2008, he was the Chief Investment Officer and later the CEO for Aberdeen in Thailand, successfully building the domestic investment team and business. He has been a long-standing member of ASI Thailand’s Board of Directors since then.
Ian Macdonald, Deputy Head of Asia Pacific at Aberdeen Standard Investments, commented:
“Robert’s appointment signifies our commitment to the business and clients in Thailand. As the market continues to open up and opportunities are rising for global asset managers following recent regulatory relaxation, the time is right for us to devise a long-term strategy to capitalise on the growth potential. Robert exemplifies an accomplished leader in building our Thailand presence and Australian Equities team, we have no doubt in his ability to drive the next phase of growth for our Thailand business.”
Meanwhile, Michelle’s promotion is an endorsement of her vast investment experience, with over 15 years’ on the ASI Australian Equities team, and strong leadership capabilities. Based in Sydney, she has contributed as a senior member of the team for a number of years, most recently as Deputy Head of Australian Equities where she has played a pivotal role in managing the team and driving investment outcome.
Flavia Cheong, Head of Asia Pacific Equities at Aberdeen Standard Investments said:
“Michelle is a very experienced investor and is Robert’s natural successor to lead the team. She is well respected by our clients and the investment community and this promotion is reflective of her commitment, knowledge and proven ability. I am equally pleased that Robert is taking on a senior role in Thailand and that we will be able to continue to call upon his investment experience across the region.”
+852 2103 4793
Notes to editors
- Aberdeen Standard Investments is a leading global asset manager dedicated to creating long-term value for our clients, and is a brand of the investment businesses of Aberdeen Asset Management and Standard Life Investments.
- With over 1,000 investment professionals we manage US$643.3 billion (£505.1 billion)* of assets worldwide. We have clients in 80 countries supported by 50 relationship offices. This ensures we are close to our clients and the markets in which they invest.
- We are high-conviction; long-term investors who believe teamwork and collaboration are the key to delivering repeatable, superior investment performance. We are resolute in our commitment to active asset management.
- Aberdeen Standard Investments is the asset management business of Standard Life Aberdeen plc, one of the world’s largest investment companies.
- Standard Life Aberdeen plc is headquartered in Scotland. It has around 1.2 million shareholders and is listed on the London Stock Exchange. The Standard Life Aberdeen group was formed by the merger of Standard Life plc and Aberdeen Asset Management PLC on 14 August 2017.
*as at 31 December 2018
Aberdeen Standard Investments is a brand of the investment businesses of Aberdeen Asset Management and Standard Life Investments. The details contained here are for information purposes only and should not be considered as an offer, investment recommendation, or solicitation to deal in any investments or funds and does not constitute investment research, investment recommendation or investment advice in any jurisdiction.
This communication is available for distribution by the following Aberdeen Asset Management affiliate:
Hong Kong by Aberdeen Standard Investments (Hong Kong) Limited. This document has not been reviewed by the Securities and Futures Commission. The United Kingdom by Aberdeen Asset Managers Limited. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the United Kingdom. Registered Office: 10 Queen’s Terrace, Aberdeen AB10 1YG. Registered in Scotland No. 108419.
Standard Life Investments companies:
Standard Life Investments Limited is registered in Scotland (SC123321) at 1 George Street, Edinburgh EH2 2LL. Standard Life Investments Limited is authorised and regulated in the UK by the Financial Conduct Authority.