Aberdeen Standard Investments (ASI) has launched an Emerging Markets Sustainable Development Equity Fund, that aims to deliver both an attractive return for investors and a positive societal impact.
By leveraging ASI’s extensive research platform and ESG resources, the Fund will invest in Emerging Market economies that have strong growth potential and where capital will have the greatest impact.
ASI’s Global Emerging Markets team will select companies based in, or operating in, Emerging Markets that are strongly aligned to the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The aim of the focused, actively managed portfolio of 30-60 high-conviction stocks is to ensure that investment is directed to the areas of greatest need.
The 17 SDGs are designed to address major long-term challenges, such as climate change, growing social inequality, and unsustainable production and consumption. ASI believes that supporting the SDGs creates tangible opportunities for companies to contribute positively to society and the environment, while simultaneously enhancing the long-term financial value of their businesses. Identifying these opportunities early enables the Fund to benefit from their long term outperformance potential. Through active engagements, the investment team will seek to drive positive changes in corporate behaviour, increase the SDG alignment of ASI’s holdings, and encourage better disclosure of SDG alignment by companies.
It is the second fund in ASI’s Sustainable Development Equity range following the launch of the Asian Sustainable Development Equity Fund in August this year.
Fiona Manning, Investment Director at Aberdeen Standard Investments, commented:
“The UN’s Sustainable Development Goals provide an excellent framework to ensure that efforts are directed to the areas of greatest need. While some progress has been made towards achieving these goals by 2030, people in many emerging market countries are still not benefiting from growth and progress and are increasingly vulnerable to economic, social and environmental risks.
William Scholes, Investment Director at Aberdeen Standard Investments, commented:
“We have a large research footprint in emerging markets which helps us to uncover high-quality SDG-aligned investment opportunities. By investing in these companies, the Fund seeks to deliver both an attractive return and a positive societal impact where it matters most.”
+44 758 400 7985
Notes to editors
The Aberdeen Standard (SICAV 1) Emerging Markets Sustainable Development Equity Fund:
- Investment objective: The Fund aims to achieve growth by investing in companies in Emerging Market countries which are aligned to sustainable development criteria. The Fund aims to outperform the MSCI Emerging Markets Index (USD) benchmark before charges.
- Annual Management Charge: 0.75% per annum for institutional investors and 1.30% per annum for retail investors.
- Base Currency USD
- Registered for sale across Europe, Hong Kong & Singapore
About Aberdeen Standard Investments:
- Aberdeen Standard Investments is a global asset manager dedicated to creating long-term value for our clients. With over 1,000 investment professionals, we manage £455.6 billion* of assets worldwide. We have clients in c.80 countries supported by over 40 offices globally. This ensures we are close to our clients and the markets in which we invest. (*as of 30 June 2020)
- We are high-conviction, long-term investors who believe teamwork and collaboration are the key to delivering repeatable, superior investment performance.
- Standard Life Aberdeen plc is headquartered in Scotland. It has over 1 million shareholders and is listed on the London Stock Exchange.
- You can access the Aberdeen Standard Investments media centre here: https://www.aberdeenstandard.com/news-and-media
For Professional Investors only
The value of investments, and the income from them, can go down as well as up and you may get back less than the amount invested. Past performance is not a guide to future results. Tax treatment depends on the individual circumstances of each investor and may be subject to change in the future. We recommend that you seek financial advice prior to making an investment decision.
The details contained here are for information purposes only and should not be considered as an offer, investment recommendation, or solicitation to deal in any investments or funds and does not constitute investment research, investment recommendation or investment advice in any jurisdiction. Any research or analysis used to derive, or in relation to, the above information has been procured by us for our own use, without taking into account the investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs of any specific investor, and may have been acted on for own purpose. No warranty is given as to the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of the information contained in this communication and no liability for errors or omissions in such information. Readers must make assessments to the relevance, accuracy and adequacies of the information contained in this communication and make independent investigations, as they may consider necessary or appropriate for the purpose of such assessments. Any opinion or estimate contained in this communication, are made on a general basis. No information contained herein constitutes investment, tax, legal or any other advice, or an invitation to apply for securities in any jurisdiction where such an offer or invitation is unlawful, or in which the person making such an offer is not qualified to do so.
Issued in the United Kingdom (UK) by Aberdeen Asset Managers Limited, registered in Scotland (SC108419) at 10 Queen’s Terrace, Aberdeen, AB10 1XL, and Standard Life Investments Limited registered in Scotland (SC123321) at 1 George Street, Edinburgh EH2 2LL. Both companies are authorised and regulated in the UK by the Financial Conduct Authority.